Achievement First is a non-profit network of high-quality, free, public charter schools. We started with a single middle school in New Haven, Connecticut; and we’ve grown to 37 K-12 public charter schools in three states.
What does it mean to be a charter school network?
- We admit students by blind lottery and there are never admission tests or fees.
- We welcome all students, including students with disabilities and kids who haven’t yet learned English.
- A non-profit (Achievement First) runs our schools instead of the local school district.
- Our schools are accountable to the State Board of Education. They have fewer restrictions than local districts, and that allows more room for innovation.
- Charter schools like ours must meet state performance goals, or they can be closed. That’s why charter schools are some of the most accountable public schools there are.